The duty to manage asbestos
- Take reasonable steps to find out if there are materials containing asbestos in non-domestic premises, and if so, its amount, where it is and what condition it is in.
- Presume materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence that they do not.
- Make, and keep up-to-date, a record of the location and condition of the asbestos- containing materials – or materials which are presumed to contain asbestos
- Assess the risk of anyone being exposed to fibres from the materials identified
- Prepare a plan that sets out in detail how the risks from these materials will be managed
- Take the necessary steps to put the plan into action
- Periodically review and monitor the plan and the arrangements to act on it so that the plan remains relevant and up-to-date
- Provide information on the location and condition of the materials to anyone who is liable to work on or disturb them
There is also a requirement on others to co-operate as far as is necessary to allow the dutyholder to comply with the above requirements.
Rainbow International Asbestos Testing & Removal
Rainbow International have a clear duty of care to policyholders and customers, to risk assess for asbestos as part of any initial reports. For any removals of asbestos materials that require a licensed contractor – Rainbow International have great relationships with licensed contractors, meaning we can offer a comprehensive asbestos removal service for any situation.
Under NNLW guidelines from CAR12 regulations, we only deal with chrysolite; and not crocidolite or amosite.
Chrysolite (white asbestos) can be found in cement, vinyl or thermoplastic floor tiles, testured coating (i.e artex) and bitumen.
Work procedure & control measures
- All operatives will have suitable and sufficient training to carry out notifiable non-licensed worl (NNLW)
- All operatives will have the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which includes:
- Disposable overalls with hood
- Boots without laces
- Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
- Latex Gloves
- Exclusion zones will be established in the work area, and suitable warning signage will be erected
- Unless otherwise stated, waste will be removed from site in the work van
- this waste will be double bagged/wrapped in 500 gauge polythene and placed in secure locked compartments within the van
- After completion of the work, the area shall be left in a clean, tidy condition
- A visual inspection and appropriate air tests(s) as required will be completed